Urban Arts inspires high school students from low-income communities to harness their creativity and access technology, generating lifelong success through exceptional educations and state-of-the-art careers.
We’re futurists. Creative coding is artistic expression—art as a digital language. Beyond high-level coding, our students learn to collaborate, problem solve, and lead. They produce poetry, traditional and digital artworks, video games, music, installations, augmented reality, artificial intelligence brains, and more. Our video game design course requires powerful creative investment—original narrative, graphic design, animation, and sound—paired with exceptional technical skills.
These courses craft future leaders and creatives in tech, media, and entertainment.
The U.S. tech industry has an estimated market value of $1.6 Trillion. In New York, the digital games industry is directly responsible for 4,600 jobs, $489 Million in wages, and $1.3 Billion in economic output.
Business of this scale should look like all of us.
Attracting a skilled, diverse and inclusive workforce is both an industry priority and an equity imperative. The quality of a child’s education shouldn’t depend on their zip code.
- operates in-school and after-school STEAM programs on location at Title 1 schools
- runs virtual cohorts for students on Discord
- pilots intensive summer camps at our Flatiron Learning Lab
- runs rigorous out-of-school time STEAM programs at our Flatiron Learning Lab
- trains teachers nationwide in developer softwares and innovative pedagogical practices
- designs curricula—and DOE research—in the computer sciences
- offers AP exam and SAT prep, financial aid and college prep,
- as well as internship and mentorship placements.
Urban Arts is 30 years old, and we’ve served over 250,000 students across 150 schools.
We’re researchers. We’re agile, we iterate, and we work with external evaluators to ensure we remain exacting and effective.
We’re full STEAM ahead.